The main aims of the Association are:
- gathering professional musicians, music critics, organisers and music promoters in one organisation, connected with jazz music;
- developing high quality jazz music and related genres;
- taking care of professional development of young musicians, journalists, organisers and the whole amateur jazz society in the region;
- representing artistic and business matters of members of the Association.
The Association had its ups and downs but over ten years ago we started bringing back the finest traditions of our club. Right now we can honestly say that we've managed to do it!
Each month we organise a few jazz and blues concerts. One of our most important jazz projects is Jazz Thursday with a Star (Czwartek Jazzowy z Gwiazdą):
More info: www.facebook.com/czwartekjazzowy
Among the artists that have taken part in this project there are: Jan Ptaszyn Wróblewski, Janusz Muniak, Susan Weinert, Zbigniew Namysłowski, Anthimos Apostolis, Jorgos Skolias, Bogdan Hołownia, Wojciech Karolak, Jarosław Śmietana, Adam Czerwiński, Tymon Tymański, Walk Away, Adam Kawończyk, Piotr Wojtasik, Henryk Miśkiewicz, Mikołaj Trzaska, Maciej Sikała, Krzysztof Ścierański, Piotr Baron, Marcin Oleś, The Globetrotters, Ecstasy Project, Pink Freud, Eryk Kulm, Wojtek Pilichowski, Ed Cherry (USA), Monty Waters (USA), Rob Brown (USA), Peter Friis Nielsen (Dania), Peter Ole Jorgensen (Dania), Wayne Dockery (USA), Steve MacCraven (USA), Brad Terry (USA), Tyler Hornby (Kanada), Marcin Oleś, The Globetrotters, Ecstasy Project, Pink Freud, Eryk Kulm, Wojtek Pilichowski, Ulf Wakenius (Szwecja), Theo Jörgensmann (Niemcy), AMC Trio (Słowacja), David Dorůžka (Czechy), Joonatan Rautio (Finlandia), Anna Serafińska, Sing Sing Penelope, Adam Wendt and many more.
Our jam sessions, which take place every month (jazz jam sessions on the last Thursday and blues jam sessions on the third Tuesday on each month), gather lots of music fans – both musicians and listeners. During these jam events we look for exeptionally interesting and talented young artists, whom we give a chance to play concerts in our project Silesian Jazz Club Presents (Śląski Jazz Club Prezentuje).
We also help developing blues culture in our region and you can listen to the most interesting artists connected with this type of music during our Blues Tuesday concert series (Wtorek Bluesowy).
Silesian Jazz Club is also the main organiser of many festivals, which include:
- International Jazz in the Ruins Festival (Jazz w Ruinach) – a festival of young, rising stars of jazz and improvised music. The festival is the only event of this type in the whole Poland and it combines music, graphics and video arts. It started in 2004 and since then it has taken place in the Ruins of Victoria Theatre in Gliwice.
More info: www.jazzwruinach.pl
- Boom Jazz (1973-2004) – an event which was taking place in the big venues in Gliwice and other cities in the region.
- Blues Power in Bytom (Bytomska Moc Bluesa) – a blues festival organised in Bytom (since 2009), initiated and coordinated by Dominika Jangrot and Kajetan Drozd, members of the Silesian Jazz Club.